Take out Chinese (or eat23, grubhub, bite squard, prime now, munchery) is expensive, make this version of Broccoli Beef at home with some inexpensive ingredients and save the trip to the restaurant.
What you'll need-
- 1/3 cup oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoons Asian (toasted) sesame oil
- 1/3 cup sherry (or 1/4 cup red wind and 1 tablespoon of white vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3/4 pound beef round steak, cut into 1/8-inch thick strips
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more if needed
- 1 thin slice of fresh ginger root
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 pound broccoli, cut into florets
Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet or wok (if you're fancy and have one) over med-high heat and stir in the ginger and garlic. Allow them to saute for about a minute, then remove the ginger and garlic and discard. Stir the broccoli into the hot oil and stir fry for 5-7 minutes until bright green. Remove the broccoli and set aside.
Place the marinated beef and remaining marinade into the oil and stir fry until the sauce forms a glaze on the beef, and it is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Pour the broccoli back into the skillet or wok and cook another 3 minutes or so, until the meat and broccoli are cooked through. You can serve this alone, or over a bed of rice.